President Enrique Pena Nieto has signed nine new decrees, four of which are deemed protected natural areas including the Mexican Caribbean Biosphere Reserve. With these decrees we will see millions of hectares sectioned off as protected areas restricting any sort of impact or building.
The news was released after the Thirteenth Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity, COP 13. With these new natural protection decrees we will see natural areas sheltered from exploitation of hydrocarbons and exploration. The Biosphere Reserve decree includes addition of:
- A total of over 65 million hectares
- 5.7 million include the coast of Quintana Roo
- 37,000 hectares of Quintana Roo jungle
- 1.2 million hectares of the Pacific Islands Biosphere Reserve
- 58 million hectares of the Deep Mexican Pacific Biosphere Reserve
- Other Areas include: Biosphere Reserve of the Sierra de Tamaulipas and the Revillagigedo Archipelago, four volcanic islands (World Heritage Site)
Newly appointed State governor, Carlos Joaquín González, explained that the sole objective of the Mexican Caribbean Biosphere Reserve is to generate new tools in the protection of environmental conservation for the state and Caribbean Sea.
The conscious efforts of the Mexican government has left many relieved that we will see future efforts and stricter regulations on developing here in the Riviera Maya. The pristine beauty of the area is what draws such massive tourism numbers and has been driving the booming local real estate market.
Virgin Realty Mexico believes there is an delicate balance between tourism and conservation and as long as we are all ethical in our practices the two can co-exist without one or the other suffering.
Stay up to date with our Sa’atal Hearts Program to hear more about our local conservation efforts and monthly events.
- Riviera Maya Reef To Be Insured! - July 27, 2017
- Riviera Maya Tourism to Welcome 40,000 Tourists Per Day! - July 25, 2017
- Riviera Maya Friendliest Cities in Latin America - July 20, 2017
- DreamWorks Riviera Maya Land To Be Inspected - July 17, 2017
- Demand for Riviera Maya Vacation Rentals Increases - July 14, 2017